Volcube Pro Edition – latest updates
2.21: Released 15 June, 2014
* New Detailed Report giving full insight into Group performance, in terms of profitability, attitude to risk and rates of progress.
* In-game sporadic electronic orders in outright option markets. To add to the realism of simulations, broker orders may now appear without warning in the outright option order books, potentially allowing players to click-trade for edge or risk management purposes.
* Enhancement to broker feedback. Another in-game improvement, whereby the broker provides more detailed information as to why he is not interested in a player’s quote. This is to add greater realism and also to give players better information on order flow as would likely be the case in the real world.
2.20: Released 23 February, 2014
* Horizontal calendar strategies : Added to Custom play and Level 5 and upwards.
* A new put-call parity minigame with non-zero rates
* Levels qualification criteria smoothed : Some tweaks responding to user feedback to smooth the transitions between Levels games.
2.19 : Released 8 January, 2014
* Expiration Module : practise trading options in the last 5 days leading to expiry
* Performance tab : now see your accuracy and competitiveness per quote
* Multiple Pricing sheet view : on larger resolution monitors, now you can see several pricing sheets at once
This is a major new feature available in Volcube Pro Edition. It allows expiration trading to be practised via a series of 10 connected Volcube simulations. The first game represent Monday morning and by game 10 (Friday, p.m.) the options are close to expiring. The challenge in between is to continue to make markets and profits for as long as possible and to safely manage the position to its expiration. This will test trainees’ understanding of gamma trading in the face of heightened theta risk. Managing fast-changing deltas and calculating break-even situations are both skills that can now be learnt and tested using the Expiration Module.
The Expiration Module can of course be played repeatedly as the games are generated algorithmically and not from canned or historic data, so each scenario will be entirely new.
The new Performance tab details the player’s competitiveness and accuracy for every quote request in the game. This can be used to check your pricing at every point and understand what you did well and what not so well. The Volcube Competitiveness Metric determines whether the width of the bid-ask spread was sufficiently narrow. The Volcube Accuracy Metric determines whether the mid-point of the bid-ask spread was sufficiently near to the current market valuation of the option strategy in question.
In the Performance graphs shown below, the player needs to make his bid-ask spread narrower, as his competitiveness was inadequate throughout the game. His accuracy was generally good but deteriorated as the game wore on. This is quite common and usually means the player became more inaccurate because implied volatility was moving in the market away from his theoretical values. Quotes 21 and 23 were particularly bad in this game, so these would be worth reviewing in Replay mode.
The new Performance tab…
Multi-expiry Pricing Sheets
For players with larger/higher resolution screens, the Pricing Sheets for multi-expiry games will now snap out so that up to three pricing sheets can be viewed simulataneously. This should give greater oversight of the market and more closely resembles real-world trading set-ups.
2.18 – Released 29 September, 2013
* Assignments upgraded
Configuration of Assignments enhanced
The options available to tutors when creating Assignments have been increased. Assignments can now have release and expiration dates. Multiple versions of a similarly configured game can be created and a connected series of Assignments can now be created. All the new features are available in the existing Assignments creation area, in the Custom Play tab.
2.17 : Released 6 August, 2013
* Quarterly expiries
* Live View improvements
* Player Level adjustor
* Tablet usage improvements
Tutors can now enable longer dated quarterly expiries beyond the first three months.
Live View upgrade
Live View has been given an upgrade. More live data is now available to tutors watching a multiplayer game in real time including the broker order and strategy details.
Player Levels adjustor
Tutors can now amend group members’ Levels as they see fit. This is done in the tutor’s MySettings area where a list of all group members has been added along with a simple drop down Level selector. Tutors simply change the Level of users as they see fit and press SAVE. Any change takes immediate effect.
Some work has been done to improve usage of Volcube on certain, mainstream tablet devices.
2.16 : Released on 25 January, 2013
* Continuous Games
Tutors can now create Assignments for students to play. Assignments are created in the Custom Play screen. Choose the game setup you desire and press Create Assignment. Give the Assignment a name and add any notes you want students to see before they play. Then Add the assignment. Assignments are listed in the Scenarios (&Assignments) page via the Game tab. Students can only play each Assignment once and can only view Assignments that they are yet to play. An Assignment League Table has been added to the Account page, showing each player’s score in each Assignment. Hover over the column header to see the full Assignment Name. Also note that for Tutors the student’s score in the League Table is in fact a hyperlink to their Analysis page so that tutors can analyse students’ games.
Fixed spot games can now be continued to create a series of up to 10 games. Players carry their positions and theoretical values over into the next session.