Volcube Starter Edition
“Using Volcube Starter Edition, I can learn about more than just the theory of options; I can learn about trading options. The options market simulator is a fantastic way to learn, simple to use and a lot of fun! The videos and articles are comprehensive and easy to understand, and the Volcube Team offers you excellent support whenever you need it. Highly recommended.”
Andrew Kang, BA Economics, Northwestern University
& trainee derivatives trader in Chicago
Volcube Starter Edition is the perfect way to learn how to trade options like a pro, whether you want to break into the financial markets, you already day-trade or you are a market professional looking to expand your skill-set.
Volcube is a web-based option market simulator combined with advanced learning tools. You can trade on the option market simulator and study options in the Volcube Learning environment which contains dozens of videos and articles about options trading and risk management. Each Volcube trading session can be studied in Replay mode or played again in Repeat mode. Every Volcube game generates useful statistical output to help you to identify your strengths and weaknesses. Compare your scores to other Volcube users around the globe and measure your ability as a Volcube options trader!
Who uses Volcube and why?
Volcube Starter Edition is used by lots of people around the world for different reasons. Junior option traders, trading software developers, risk managers, operations/middle/back office staff, graduates and other students, private investors and private individuals who are looking to get a job in the financial markets.
Why? All Volcube users want to learn about options; either because they are hoping to become professional traders or because options are something they expect to come across at work. Or perhaps they are writing software for derivatives traders or managing the risk associated with options? A lot of Volcube Starter Edition users are looking to earn the Volcube Certificate in Options and Volatility Trading to improve their CV/résumé. And some users just like Volcube because it is a lot of fun to play on!
How do people use Volcube?
Volcube is a web-application. So just log in via any compatible web browser. Then, you can start playing on the various simulations and you can study via the videos and articles about options trading in the Learning environment. A very useful feature is the in-game Market Mentor; this is a smart help assistant that gives you advice on pricing options, managing the risk of the options you have traded and what trades you should look out for in your games. When you have finished your game, you can see a breakdown analysis of your performance plus you can score a TPI (Trader Performance Index). The TPI is a benchmark used by Volcube users (Pro and Starter Edition) to really know how well they are doing and how much they have learnt about options and volatility trading. You can also replay or repeat your games so that you can learn from your mistakes (and of course from your successes!).
So a new Volcube user will typically log in and start playing right away. They will then gradually improve and learn the various aspects to option theory as they play. They may work through the various tutorials. As they improve, Volcube users can tailor their games to make sure they are practising the areas they feel they need to work on. The range of Minigames in the application are also a great way to learn the fundamentals of option theory and trading.
If a Volcube user needs help with any aspect of the game or option theory, they can simply email [email protected] for a quick reply from one of our professional support team.
Learning about professional options trading and risk management via Volcube is a lot of fun and a highly effective. Volcube is trusted by professional option trading firms around the world to train their staff and with Starter Edition anyone can get access to the technology. Why not sign up for the completely free trial today?
Starter Edition features:
- Volcube’s core option market simulator, from Levels 1 to 3 with full Analysis, Replay, Repeat and Game History functions.
- Join the global Starter group and see how your Volcube trading performance compares with other users.
- Volcube Market Mentor. Intelligent, automated in-game trading instruction teaches you how to trade options as you play.
- Volcube Starter Learning environment. Watch dozens of videos about options trading and risk management in Volcube.
- Volcube Certification available. Once you complete a trading Level as a subscriber, you can instantly download your authorised Volcube Options and Volatility Trader Certificate at no extra charge. A great addition to your resumé that confirms your achievement.
- Full hosting and support available throughout your subscription
How to get access to Volcube
Volcube is accessed via any compatible web browser. Volcube Starter users are assigned to the global Starter group and given a login. You can be trading on the Volcube option simulator in minutes!
12 months access to Volcube Starter Edition…….. $1089
Access the Volcube application for a whole year! Learn to trade options on the Volcube simulator. Become a Certified Volcube Options and Volatility Trader.
Monthly access to Volcube Starter Edition….. $139 / month
Access the Volcube application month by month. Learn to trade options on the Volcube simulator. Become a Certified Volcube Options and Volatility Trader.
7 day trial of Volcube Starter Edition………………..$FREE
Try out Volcube with no obligation. Trade on the Volcube options market simulator and check out the Volcube Learning environment.
Have questions about Volcube Starter Edition? Just email [email protected] and we’ll come straight back to you.
Starter Edition Updates
Starter Edition 2.24: Released 26th May 2015 : CURRENT LIVE VERSION
- A new Pause game feature allows games to be paused and resumed later. Paused games are available for resumption in the History tab in the new My Open Games section.
- Extra help in Hedge Finder games. We’ve enhanced the help section here in response to feedback from users of the Directional Games.
Starter Edition 2.23: Released 31 January 2015
* 3 brand new trading games, with a total of 15 levels to test your understanding of directional option trading. These test your understanding of basic payoffs, knowledge of option portfolio building and your ability to find suitable hedges for a variety of situations. Find these new games in the Game tab and hit the Directional Games button. Click the Help link within each game for support. The new games are
- Payoff Finder : Select option trades to recreate the benchmark payoff profiles.
- Portfolio Builder : Click trade in a simulated option market to buy or sell options and create the desired payoff profile.
- Hedge Finder : Practise…hedging directional exposures in a simulated futures market, using options for volatility hedging,delta hedging options and creating financed options hedges.
* Shared games. Games registering a TPI and played by other players in your group are now visible to all via the History screen. Use this to study other players’ trading techniques and improve your trading by studying different approaches to Volcube gameplay. You can elect for your games to be kept private if desired using a private option in Custom Play or via MySettings in your Account tab. Remember that tutors in your private group can always see all games.
* New Levels videos pertaining to Levels 1, 2 and 3 have been produced to give greater insight on what players can expect in these games.
* A new Market Conditions metric has been added to Analysis. This indicates the trading conditions up to the point when the player left the game. Benign conditions mean the market for implied volatility was conducive to profitable trading. Difficult conditions imply that providing liquidity into the market was a challenging or hazardous pursuit.
Starter Edition 2.22: Released 3 October, 2014 :
* Train using different styles of options. Use Custom Play to alter the option type from the standard Volcube option to a precious metal, a grain or a mini index style option. Great for expanding your options trading experience in Volcube.
* Volcube training mode added. Now you can decide to see your game score (the TPI) but not have this contribute to your Player TPI. Very useful when you want to experiment with different strategies as a practice exercise but are concerned about lowering your overall TPI. Simply change the TPI option in Custom Play to ‘INDICATION ONLY’ to still see the score but not have it affect your Player TPI.
Starter Edition 2.21: Released 15 June, 2014
* In-game sporadic electronic orders in outright option markets. To add to the realism of simulations, broker orders may now appear without warning in the outright option order books, potentially allowing players to click-trade for edge or risk management purposes.
* Enhancement to broker feedback. Another in-game improvement, whereby the broker provides more detailed information as to why he is not interested in a player’s quote. This is to add greater realism and also to give players better information on order flow as would likely be the case in the real world.
Starter Edition 2.20 : Released 23 February, 2014
* Now include outright options in your Custom Play simulations. In Custom Play switch Display Outrights? to YES. This will include the individual markets in calls and puts in your Pricing Sheet in the Main Game screen. Bids are shown to the left of your theoretical values and offers to the right. You can click-trade these option markets by single-clicking on a bid or offer which will tee-up the order in the Order Entry row at the foot of the Pricing Sheet. Make any changes you want to and then hit SUBMIT. Note that there are hidden robots in the market who may trade against you. So if there are some calls worth say $1.50 and the best bid is say $1.43 and you are prepared to sell at $1.45 (maybe because you feel you need to lighten up your position and you are prepared to sell at a loss on this occasion). If you submit an offer at $1.45, it is possible that a robot (drone) will buy your calls from you, even though the best bid is only $1.43. Also note that you might want to ‘work’ the order at $1.45 even if the robots don’t bite straight away. You can check your current working orders in the Working Orders tab which is to the right of the Messages tab on the far left of the screen.
* A new put-call parity minigame that includes interest rates. Practise the put-call parity formula with non-zero interest rates.
* Levels qualification criteria smoothed : Some tweaks responding to user feedback to smooth the transitions between Levels games.
Starter Edition 2.19 : Released 8th January, 2014
New Performance tab : now see your accuracy and competitiveness per quote
Using the new Performance tab
The new Performance tab details the player’s competitiveness and accuracy for every quote request in the game. This can be used to check your pricing at every point and understand what you did well and what not so well. The Volcube Competitiveness Metric determines whether the width of the bid-ask spread was sufficiently narrow. The Volcube Accuracy Metric determines whether the mid-point of the bid-ask spread was sufficiently near to the current market valuation of the option strategy in question.
In the Performance graphs shown below, the player needs to make his bid-ask spread narrower, as his competitiveness was inadequate throughout the game. His accuracy was generally good but deteriorated as the game wore on. This is quite common and usually means the player became more inaccurate because implied volatility was moving in the market away from his theoretical values. Quotes 21 and 23 were particularly bad in this game, so these would be worth reviewing in Replay mode.
The new Performance tab…
We hope this new feature helps you improve your Volcube scores and better understand options trading in Volcube.